The other night I was sitting on the couch, after a very long and busy day, just watching my kids. Sometimes I marvel at the fact that I have three kids. I still feel like I'm 19, and here I have a family of 5! And then I think to myself, "I wouldn't trade any of this for the world!" And it's true, I love being a Mom (and a wife, but this post is about being a mom). I love that I get to spend all day playing with my kids and teaching them things. I marvel at how fast they learn, at how tender their little hearts are, at how much they really do understand things that you think are beyond them. I love to laugh at how their hair looks in the morning, at how they try to pour themselves cereal and get more on the table than in the bowl, at how they try to help each other do things that they can't even do themselves. Mostly, I love to see how much they love each other, it makes you feel like you might be doing something right. So back to my story, I was watching my kids from the couch, they weren't doing anything special, they were all just totally content in their own world of childhood. I wanted to remember that moment, the happiness that I felt with life and the love I felt for all three of them.
Sophie, pushing a basket around on her knees, picking up socks and baby shoes, and depositing them in random places and then going back and doing it all over again... Ana, dancing and singing in front of the big mirror that has been sitting on the floor in our front room for almost three years, but I can't bring myself to hang it on the wall because she enjoys it so much... Hayden, eating his dinner, while carefully studying a map placemat, talking to himself about the difference between a "regular tea party" and "The Boston Tea Party" that he learned about in school, which lead us to a lengthy conversation about the Revolutionary War and the freedoms that we enjoy because of it (he totally digs that kind of stuff)... None of this may mean anything to anyone else, but to me, it was a special moment in my chaotic life, that I always want to remember...
3 comments:
Kari, you are quite honestly one of the best mom's I've ever known. You are so creative and sweet with them. You can see it from a mile away. Thanks for your amazing example.
Everyone has those days when they want to rip their hair out and throw in the towel...but none of us blog about those kind of days because we'd rather forget them...SO when those days come along when you have a great day as a mother you should blog about it and share it with another mother who might need a reminder about why she loves being a mother too! Thanks Kari!
I love those rare moments when you get to sit and enjoy. When you aren't too tired or upset. I am glad you got to enjoy and write about it for you to remember when they are big and want to know what they did when they were young!!
Post a Comment