Saturday, February 28, 2009
Great neighbor, great friend... What more could you ask for...
I wanted to share a few things about my good friend, Gabrielle Johnson, that passed away this week. Gabe was one of the first people that we met when we moved here to Colorado. Her family lives 3 houses down the street from us. She walked over while we were unpacking our moving truck 3 years ago and offered to have her husband, Jamie, come down and help - and it's been that way ever since. Jamie and Gabe have been the best neighbors anyone could ask for - always there to help fix something around the house, watch the kids when we had to go somewhere, or just there if I needed to borrow a cup of sugar. Gabe and I often went to the park together with our kids and laughed and talked about our crazy lives. Gabe was very active in her church and our conversations often lead to spiritual things - I think that's why we stayed good friends, because the importance of church and family was something we both believed in, and it was easy for us to talk about spiritual things, even though we went to different churches.
Gabe and I also had a bond because we were both born and raised in Minnesota (only about 200 miles apart) and then we ended up on the same street in Colorado. She still had the Minnesota accent though, I have since lost mine, and it made me laugh to listen to her talk because it reminded me of home. She always had some story to tell or funny thing that had happened to her. And we always laughed alot when we talked, I loved that about her, talking to her was fun. Gabe had a wild streak, as well. Rob and I still laugh when we think about the day that we saw her riding her motorcycle around the schoolyard across the street, all around the playground - we couldn't tell who it was because she was totally covered with a hat, goggles and facemask (it was January!) - until she waved, she had a very fast, distinctive wave that was unmistakable. It was hilarious!
More than anything, Gabe was a great wife and mom, she loved her family so much. She sacrificed alot to stay at home, doing daycare to make ends meet, so that she could be with her kids. As a mother of three, Gabe loved nothing more than to play with her kids and delight in their accomplishments. Her husband Jamie was the perfect match for her. He was very handy, and she loved to shop. She told me several times how she was so grateful for the things that Jamie did for her - working so that she could stay home, fixing and building anything and everything around the house, and putting up with her attitude. She thought it was so funny to pretend to argue with him in front of others, just to make people laugh. They were great together and their faith was strong - I have no doubt that she will be waiting for him in heaven.
Gabe was an amazing person. Her passing will leave an empty space in my heart and I'm sure in alot of others. She was a great friend and she won't be forgotten.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I just wanted to tell you I am thinking of you at this time. I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to loose someone you love. I am also praying for her family.
So sorry to hear about the loss of your neighbor and friend!
HOw sad. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. What a sweet post!
As you were blessed by Gabe's friendship, I'm sure she too was equally blessed by having you as a friend. I'm sorry to know that her passing was premature and that she left 3 children, a husband and countless other loved ones behind (including you), however, the Gospel of Jesus Christ does bring with it great hope, reassurance and comfort. I'm sure that as you said, she will be waiting in Heaven for her husband and all her dear friends like you.
Take care Kari. You are a great friend, thanks for sharing a little of your friend with me and helping me to remember what a treasure good friends are.
I am so sorry for your loss Kari. She sounds like such a great women. How nice to have had such a wonderful friend and neighbor. Her family is on our prayers.
I am so sorry! You will be in my prayers. I understand the hurt and hope that you'll be comforted. You are such a great friend and I'm sure your friendship meant a lot to her.
Post a Comment