I entered the world of being a middle school teacher a couple of weeks ago. I've done a lot of hard things in my life... but this has moved up the ranks to #1. I feel like I'm running a marathon that will not end until June. There really are no words to describe my level of exhaustion and stress.
That being said... middle schoolers are... well, a lot of things. Firstly, hilarious. In the moment, the things they do are not so funny, but at the end of the day when I am telling my husband about my day, I just end up laughing so hard at all the really crazy things that were said and done. Secondly, they are so totally insecure. My heart just goes out to them for being in the phase of life they are in... it's REALLY hard. Kids at that age are so harsh and judgmental. I just hope that I can make it slightly easier for some of them. Thirdly, they are so fun. I hope that I can get organized enough to capitalize on their desire to have fun while they learn... it takes a lot of effort to pull together a super fun lesson that they actually learn what needs to be learned. Wish me luck...
So now you know... I haven't died... I've just been sucked into the realm of awkward, insecure, craziness that is Middle School.
Hopefully I'll eventually be able to post some pictures from my teaching adventures...
Cheers!
2 comments:
Wow! That's a huge step, Kari! You're such a great mom that I'm sure you make a great teacher! What are you teaching? What made you decide to teach?
I'm teaching 7th and 8th grade science. I went back to school to get my teaching license last year, knowing that Sophie would be in school all day this year. So... I landed a job and still feel like I really don't know what I'm doing... but it's getting better each day. Next time you talk to your kids' teachers, thank them for all that they do. There is no way to explain the amount of time and effort that goes into what teachers do.
Post a Comment